Summer Training is 100% optional we do recommend cadets attend because it is a wonderful free experience. HOWEVER – cadets are not required to attend. Cadets can still be 100% successful in the program however; please note by not attending any summer training they will not be eligible for things like staff, exchanges, senior expeditions. Cadets and parents must have an honest conversation , do you as the cadet want to go, if yes, why? What course? If not, why not? Officers are available to further explain.
On your application ensure you list the course AND the dates you are available. IF you are NOT available for specific dates do not apply for those – clearly state the dates you cannot attend camp
On the application form you will see options for your top three choices, cadets are encouraged to apply to multiple courses HOWEVER if you write down you want to apply for a course be sure you want to go on that course. Please DO NOT apply for a course that you wouldn’t accept. Ex don’t apply for Drill and Ceremonial if you only want to go on Fitness and Sports.
Please fill out the Participation Application to the best of your ability – email with questions if you are unsure which courses you can apply for.
The goal of the summer training courses is that you follow the same program for all of your training. Ex – GT – Basic Expedition – Expedition Instructor – Expedition Staff or Exchange
You do not have to follow this if you did not enjoy the course but keep in mind you will be more able to complete courses with ease if you follow the same program.
Travel is provided by the cadet program and is typically via bus one day prior to the course starting for all courses held in Atlantic Canada. Courses outside of Atlantic Canada are via air travel and travel in advance varies.
Green Stars (First years cadets ages 12/13)
- General Training – two week course – only option – exposes the cadets to all aspects of cadets and all camps they can apply for in the future. Ex. Camping, Drill, Fitness etc.
- Course Start Dates: Approx: 9 July, 23 July, or 6 Aug
- Best to apply to all of the dates (Assuming you are available) – we can try to get you on a specific date but it is not 100% guaranteed.
Red Stars (Second year cadets ages 13/14/15) (If this is your first year of cadets but you are 14 or older by July 1st you can apply for the following courses so you will be with your age group)
- Basic Leadership (Drill & Ceremonial ) – Held at CSTC Greenwood
- Basic Expedition – Held at CSTC Argonaut
- Basic Fitness and Sports- Held at CSTC Argonaut
- Basic Marksmanship (must have been coming to marksmanship days) – Held at CSTC Argonaut
- Basic Music – Held at HMCS Acadia
- Dates: Approx: 9 July or 30 July
Silver Stars/Gold Stars (Third and fourth year cadets 15-18 years) (This should be your third year of camp if you started with GT at age 12)
- Drill and Ceremonial Instructor – Held at CSTC Greenwood
- Fitness and Sports Instructor- Held at CSTC Argonaut
- Expedition Instructor – must have minimum bronze fitness level – Held at CSTC Argonaut
- Intermediate Music – Held at HMCS Acadia
- Air Rifle Marksmanship Instructor – Held at CSTC Argonaut
- Fullbore Marksmanship 1 – must have completed Basic Marksmanship – Held at CSTC Connaught
- Fullbore Marksmanship 2 – must have completed Fullbore Marksmanship 1 – Held at CSTC Connaught
- If you are not old enough for staff you can apply to do a second 6 week course
- Dates: 9 July